The number of COVID-19 cases in South Korea has surpassed 100,000 for the first time

2022-06-22 0 By

Xinhua News Agency Seoul, February 18 (Du Baiyu sun Yiran)The Number of new COVID-19 cases in South Korea exceeded 100,000 for the first time on Monday, the country’s central Epidemic Prevention And Control Headquarters said, setting a new high since the outbreak began.However, the South Korean government announced a slight easing of quarantine measures on the same day after taking into consideration people’s livelihood and quarantine conditions.South Korea reported about 109,800 new COVID-19 cases on Monday, bringing the total number of confirmed cases to more than 1.75 million.45 new deaths were reported, bringing the total death toll to 7,283.The novel coronavirus variant omicron has emerged as the main circulating strain in South Korea, leading to a recent resurgence of the coronavirus outbreak.South Korea’s health authorities forecast that the country could see 130,000 to 170,000 new cases by the end of this month.Prime Minister Kim Boo-kyum said at a meeting of the central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters on Monday that the government will fine-tune its quarantine measures to the extent that the medical system can handle them after taking into account the current situation of the people and the economy.The new measures allow restaurants and cafes to extend the daily closing time from 21:00 to 22:00, while the maximum number of people at private gatherings remains at six.The quarantine measures will be in effect from Monday until May 13.Kim also called on people to actively get vaccinated against COVID-19.As of midnight on Monday, 86.3 percent of South Korea’s population had received two doses of COVID-19 vaccine, and 58.6 percent had received booster shots, according to the COVID-19 vaccination Promotion Team.South Korea launched the “phased return to daily life” quarantine system in November 2021. Since then, the country has bounced back with a record number of severe COVID-19 cases.According to the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters, the government will suspend the resumption of daily life and launch an “emergency plan” for disease prevention if the utilization rate of critical beds in The country exceeds 75 percent.Editor: Nie Yi